Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Weekend in a nutshell

OK, I'll just say it: "Salt Fork is Beautiful!" Friday we got to out cabin (#39) around 3:30, just in time to see the game. Come to find out, Salt Fork doesn't have ESPN. ABC teased us for the first few minutes of the game (just to see the score) and during commercial switched to the OSU game (DAMN). So we turned the station and watch the Georgia game. We had to leave around 5:30 to get to the SC game.

Come to find out, the game wasn't at Steubenville Central Catholic; it was at Steubenville . It would have been nice to know, especially since I manage the SC website. I'm sure that there were a bunch of parents ticked off about the directions that I put on the web. Oh well, you can't win them all, however, the Cardinals did beat Steubenville Central Catholic.

This morning, I got to build my fire (got home too late Saturday) and all day long I've had the smell of smoke in my nose. It was great! We took the long way home this morning with the top down and the hair flying!

OK, so you're probably wondering why, in the middle of Buckeye country, I would turn off the game. To say it quite plainly, I can't stand Ohio State! Mind you, I went there for two years and even was a member of the Big Ten Champion (for the 2 years) rifle team. I was named to the All Big Ten team. From my experience, they don't give a crap whether you succeed or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a secondary education (it took me 21 years to get my bachelor's degree), but don't try and play yourself off as a great university with high academic standards. Face it, you are a state university that lets just about anyone in (remember kids, if you get into the main campus there about 100 branches in which we'll let you in). In general, parents think that they can only afford to send their kids to OSU because the smaller state schools and private ones are too expensive. While on the surface that is true, but if your kid has decent grades and SAT or ACT scores you can get a ton in aid. Wouldn't you want you kid to go a school with a smaller class size (1 of my classes at OSU had 735 (Classics 222)), professors who speak English (most math and science classes have TA's who have English as a second language) and are available for tutoring or counseling and will find out why your kid isn't in class?

Now the next question is "Why Notre Dame?" Well, it's not because of athletics although that was the initial attraction. There is no place like ND. I'm not sure if it is because of the religious roots but it is a special place. With the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Grotto, Administration Building (Golden Dome), Hesburgh Library (Touchdown Jesus) and the Clarke Memorial Fountain, it is a very peaceful and the students and staff a very friendly. You can't walk across the campus with out several "hellos" being said. I guess you're just going to have to get there and see for yourself!

Back to work tomorrow - BLAH! I'm going to finish my presentation to the interns. Also, this week is WAHTTERSON week at SC. Finally, on Sunday, Jesus Jam is back! Can't wait to see the CYSC kids at St. Catherines (5:00 pm)!

Later!

No comments: